The more and more braid out and twists become popular, the more naturals want to rock the style.
The best way to rock a curly hair style is to use the right type of product to maintain the curls definition for a long period of time. The right curling pudding ( also called “curl pomade”) can make the world of difference between a basic twist out and a well-defined one.
The basic thing a pudding does for curls is it seals the hair together, retaining the manipulated curl pattern for an extended period of time. Think of it like bonding cream but for curly hair.
If you can image, it does not take a lot of product when using curling pudding. Like with most products, a little goes a long way.
But while you can purchase a decent natural hair curling pudding from Target, you could afford to make your own. It could be fun to make and it will be completely natural, as opposed to most beauty products on the market, including natural products.
To make your own curl pudding you will need the following:
1. Melt you beeswax in the double boiler. If you do not know a double boiler, put water in a pot on the stove and place a small pot in the water. Turn the heat on and allow the beeswax to melt.
1a. If you do not care for beeswax, use raw organic shea butter, not refined. Melt completely.
1b. If you do not care for shea butter, use avocado butter. Melt completely.
2. Once completely melted, remove from heat and pour the coconut oil in. With the stirrer, blend the coconut oil in with the wax or butter.
3. Remove the pot from the stove. Take the same pot with the water in it and pour the water out. Add ice a bunch of ice to this pot. Then, put the pot with the oils on the ice pot. This will allow your pudding to harder faster.
4. Blend until the oil mix starts to cool and harden.
5. Once the oil turns back to butter (or wax-like), pour the vegetable glycerin in. This will allow your pudding to not get TOO hard.
6. At this time, pour a few drops of your favorite essential oil in. I love Lavender for my hair.
7. Let the mix harden to a pudding-like consistency. If you want your pudding more creamy, add more glycerin or curl gel of your choice.
8. Make sure to pour your pudding into a container with a lid.
Because no water was added to this mix, you should be able to use this for a very long time. The amount of product you should use for each ingredient depends on how much product you will need for your curls.
Give it a try and watch your curls look more defined and lovely!